Monday, April 25, 2011

Sango went to church yesterday...

When I go to church I often feel as if I am going against Orisa or just being plan old fake. Yesterday was different for me.

Yesterday, I was suddenly able to recognize the similarities between Sango and Christ. When they sang songs I recognized the story of Sango. Whey they talked about what Christ stood for, I hear the praise names and stories of Sango. Yesterday, as I sat on "the minister's row" taking pictures of children while wearing a red and white dashiki, it struggled to resist shouting "KAWOOOOOOOOO" at the top of my lungs. I met Sango on the front row yesterday. I suddenly felt sorry for the Christ figure. I suddenly realized how the European mindset has feminized what was probably once a very strong man.

I wandered why all day Saturday, I felt excited about my outfit for Sunday. I wondered why I couldn't stop thinking about draping myself in red and white (in Christian terms, the blood that was shed and the purity that comes from it). I wrapped my head in white, probably Obatala prepping me for a cool head in the midst of foolishness. I know now, that Sango wanted me draped in his energy to receive his energy. He wanted to bless me. He wanted to strengthen me. He wanted to dance with me, and I am humbled.

KAWOOOOOOOOOOO Kabiyesi!!!!!!!!!

2 comments: