Friday, April 22, 2011

Pay it Forward and Piss Somebody Off. Huh?

Last week I went to the grocery store. When I paid, I left my change (a couple of dollars) for the person behind me. It's not unusual. I do it pretty often. Today, I went back to the store and the cashier started to weave a tale that I simply couldn't believe. 

Cashier: Do you remember last week when you came to the store and told me to put your change on that man's bill? Me: Yea.
Cashier: Do you know that man got all pissed off and offended behind that? He went off!!! Talkin' 'bout, "I got money! I don't need her money!" I told him that you didn't think he needed the money, that you just do that, but he was still mad. Shoot I wish I'd been behind you in line. I just put it in the till.
Me: Shoot, I don't have any money myself. I was trying to be nice. Why did you do that? You shoulda kept it. If that happens again, you keep it.
Cashier: Hmph. Don't make no sense. Can't even be nice to people these days. It don't make no sense.


I really found it strange that in this economy someone would reject someone being nice, or at least trying to. I'm not that best at receiving and I must admit that giving is my strength. Hell, it's damn near my super power. It makes me happy. I am having to learn to receive, but I have NEVER been offended. I may never know that brothas personal story, but I pray that his heart is healed and his apparent pride is broken so that he doesn't miss small blessings.

Lesson for the day: You can't give OR receive with a closed hand or a prideful heart.  

No comments:

Post a Comment