Sunday, March 27, 2011

America, the melting pot...

I was talking to someone the other day and they referred to America as a melting pot. I've heard people say it before, but this time it was like nails on a chalk board. I let the comment pass because I couldn't quite put my finger on what the problem was. Why did this comment rub me the wrong way?

American tries to force us into being a melting pot when we should be more like a salad. You see, in a melting pot everything loses it's individual identity. You can't tell one thing from the other. Some would probably argue that that's the way it should be while holding hands and singing Kumba ya. Well, I disagree. If we were in a country where everyone was appreciated culturally and not forced to fit into the white washed ideal we have here in America I would consider that argument. In America, being a part of a melting pot has meant, for most people of color/culture, that we must let go of who we are and become Europeanized. While we are becoming Europeanized we stand by and watch Europeans use those things that we were told to let go of. For example. I went to visit two cemeteries where I live. One has always been where white folks were buried and the other was where black folks were buried. In our cemetery, you see crosses, Jesus, angels, scriptures, etc. In the white folks cemeteries you see tombs and obelisks. Wait, but y'all taught us that obelisks were pagan. I ain't gone get into all that. The point being I'm not cool with the melting pot idea, because the Europeanized powers that be are the ones stirring the pot. I'm cool with the salad idea because I think there is beauty in mixing when retaining ones own identity and living in harmony with the others.

Just my 2 cents...

No comments:

Post a Comment