Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Blood Never Loses It's Power...

I was listening to T.D. Jakes as he was preparing to pray for Eddie Long's situation and it struck me for the first time how dependent the Christian religion is on the idea of the blood. He was pleading the blood, asking to be covered in the blood, miming as if he were covering himself in blood etc. Now, I grew up in church and I remember a lot of talk about the blood of Jesus and even sometimes they might talk about the sacrificial animals used by the "Old Testament" Jews. They were always very careful to make a point to remind you that Jesus was the perfect sacrificial lamb so that no more blood needed to be spilled.

In my former brush with Ifa culture I witness my first animal sacrifices. The first one caught me a little off guard because it was one of the chickens that I had cared for every morning. By the time I saw other chickens, goats, turtles, etc. it seemed normal. It was done with such love and respect. It was as if the animals completely understood that they were giving themselves so that we could continue to be.

I returned to the church and although I was at the same church that I had grown up in, everything seemed different. I saw things from a different angle, although I didn't understand much of it. The main thing that I understood in a different light was communion. During communion what is said is that the juice represents the blood spilled by Christ on the cross. Well, before seeing the animals sacrificed I had never seen anything bleed and die for me. Communion was different for me. I took it seriously. I cried. I mourned. I repented. I gave thanks.

When I heard the story of Cain and Abel and how Abel's blood cried from the ground when he had been killed it sounded different to me. I had never thought about the ase having the power to speak for us. The ase of our ancestors still speaks and cries out from the grown, trees, oceans, and hands of those that slaughtered us. That blood still has power because those that it spilled from understood the power that it held. They knew that it would continue to speak for them, scream for them, cry for them, and fight for them. They knew.

Since beginning, in earnest, on this path (again), I understand that the blood never looses it's power or ase. If ase is spilled there is power there. That is why even Christians are able to pull on the residue left behind by their sacrificial lamb and see results, even if only a shadow of what the results should be. Blood has been and still is, though denied by many, a main source of power or ase. It is our life force. All that you are in contained in your blood. Ase Ase Ase O

No comments:

Post a Comment