Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Absolute Truth?

First I offer the definitions that I found which seem to be pretty similar across the board

ab·so·lute (bs-lt, bs-lt)
adj.
1. Perfect in quality or nature; complete.
2. Not mixed; pure. See Synonyms at pure.
3.
a. Not limited by restrictions or exceptions; unconditional: absolute trust.
b. Unqualified in extent or degree; total: absolute silence. See Usage Note at infinite.
4. Unconstrained by constitutional or other provisions: an absolute ruler.
5. Not to be doubted or questioned; positive: absolute proof.

truth (trth)
n. pl. truths (trz, trths)
1. Conformity to fact or actuality.
2. A statement proven to be or accepted as true.
3. Sincerity; integrity.
4. Fidelity to an original or standard.
5.
a. Reality; actuality.
b. often Truth That which is considered to be the supreme reality and to have the ultimate meaning and value of existence.

I was watching Sanford & Son when this advertisement for a particular ministry came on. One of the phrases that flashed across the screen was "ABSOLUTE TRUTH". For some reason the question for came to my mind, shamefully for the first time. What is absolute truth and how do we know? I will suppose that most understand that truth stands until other proof is offered. Examples are that before there were true understanding of things that are now consider scientific many things in nature were considered to be scary monsters. Now we know better. Now barring that understanding what do you know to be an absolute truth. I am asking because there are so many things in my life and understanding that are up in the air right now that I once thought were true. Please don't offer me anything that is easily disputed. This is really important in helping me figure some stuff out.

No comments:

Post a Comment